Friday, March 4, 2016

Another Recipe from Kabuki's Galley.

Meals on a boat can be time consuming things, not just in the time it takes to prepare the meal, but also in the time it takes to clean up after the meal. We only have a very small sink and hot water is not on tap on our boat, we have to boil the jug for any hot water. Also water is a finite resource, we only have as much as we are able to collect from rain, or lug back to the boat in water cans.

I am a foodie, I love food, I enjoy preparing it, presenting it and then eating it. To me giving food to another human being is like giving flowers, it is a way of showing how much I care. The cleaning up part, well that I hate. I wish I was one of those TV Chefs who have a band of kitchen elves running around chopping up the onions and cleaning up after me, but I do not. I do have my darling Paul though who doesn't mind cleaning up after me, but I dry the dishes...blahhh. This means I am always trying to find ways of preparing a yummy meal without lots of dishes and mess.  

One of my successes and Pauls favourite has been "Nachos", a truly scrummy, oh so bad for you dinner, that fills the gap and saves on cleaning. I do cheat in this one, canned food is involved. So if you are adverse to food from cans turn away now, otherwise ENJOY.


Kabuki Style Nachos

1 Can of Stagg Dynamite Chilli
1 Jar of Old El Paso Salsa Dip Medium
1 Small Bag of Mexicano Nacho Chips
1 Cup of grated Cheese
1 Avocado squished if you have one, not really necessary.
1 Tub of Sour Cream ( or if not available, a cup of yoghurt, or 1/2 can of Reduced Cream mixed with a Tsp of Vinegar)

This is enough, well, more than enough for two people, but Paul and I eat it all anyway. I use a smaller rectangular baking dish and layer with baking paper to save on clean up. 

Method

Layer the Nachos on your dish, about two to three deep. Put your Stagg Chilli in a pot and heat for about 5 mins, open the jar of Salsa and grate a cup of cheese (or more if you like your cheese). If you do not have sour cream and need a substitute try yoghurt or the reduced cream and vinegar, but chill the reduced cream vinegar mix for about 1/2 hour before using.

So once the chilli is hot, spoon over your Nachos, add some of the Salsa Dip (I tend to use about 1/2 a jar) sprinkle your grated cheese over the top then place under a grill till melted and the Nachos are slightly browned. Add as much Sour Cream or substitute as desired and your Avocado if you have any. 

Eat straight from the baking dish, delicious.



Sorry about the blurry pics.

TIP: Do not eat this on a white table cloth.

No comments:

Post a Comment