Thursday, June 5, 2014

Last Post for the Summer

After arriving in the Bay of Islands, we spent about 8 weeks mooching around doing what cruisers do. Swimming, sight-seeing, walking, sailing (of course), shopping, showering in hot and cold showers, laundry etc. While there we comfortably sat out the remnants of a tropical cyclone on a friends mooring at Opua. We also caught up with some friends who have been up in the islands of the Pacific for the past 4 years.
We had a great time, but by the end of April we were ready to head back home. This years holiday has been harder for me than usual. After my Mum passed away at Christmas and we sailed off not long after on Kabuki, I felt very unsettled, my life was a bit topsy-turvy. I think if we had have stayed at home for a couple more weeks after her funeral I would have settled down, and come to terms with her death. It took we many months to grasp that she was actually gone, it didn't seem real somehow.
Anyway we are now back at home, Paul started work again about 4 weeks ago at his old job. I am gainfully unemployed, but looking for work. It is a struggle finding a job where they will employ a 48 year old woman who flits off after 9 months to go sailing........ my CV is not a good look. But we have accomplished a few projects on Kabuki, I have repainted our forward hatch on the interior, we have reduced the size of our fridge by half and put more insulation in, and we have re-seated the teak boards on our cockpit floor/hatch.
We have also purchased a wind-generator and at the moment we are trying to figure a way to install it on our stern without it interfering with the self-steering or the boom. This will be a trial and error thing involving mock-ups and lots of stainless steel.

No comments:

Post a Comment